Ultimate add on for your bait tank? (Discount code inside)

Sell/Trade Tackle and gear

Moderator: hobiefish

Ultimate add on for your bait tank? (Discount code inside)

Postby HawaiianShorts » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Due to the overwhelming responses and orders, our members can now enjoy a 10% discount on every purchase. Please use "CSJ2012" (without the quotation marks) at checkout! Thanks for your support!!

Introduction:
Recently I went to a boat show to check out new models of personal watercrafts. While walking around the vendor booths, I came across an Igloo cooler that was sitting in the middle of the pathway. I looked down and saw a mesh looking tray inside a 100qt cooler.

I didn’t know what to make of it at first, or what would I need it for. After a quick demonstration by the creator himself, it just might be the most useful item besides a cooler rack.

Specs:
The model tested was “small”. It has a 8.5” x 8.5” usable area. The shelf is made up of nylon material with industrial strength velco strips sewed on and velco strips to be attached to the cooler.

From manufacture website:
- 9"L X 8.5"W.
- Fits ice chests from 30 to 50 qt ice chest.
- Barrier is 2.5" high.
- Really likes to sit in Igloo, Coleman, Rubbermaid, and Yeti ice chests.
- Ideal replacement part (tray) for your ice chest.
- Shown in a 38 qt ice chest (Igloo Weelie).
- Will expand out to 11.5" wide.

Overall usable area varies depending on how you attach the velco.

Installation:
After removing the shelf from the package, there is a full page colored instructions with pictures.

I found the instructions to be very easy to understand. However, I only had to reference the instructions to find out how to fold the shelf. The installation took about 10 minutes. Most of the time was spent on leveling the velco strips inside the cooler. After the strips are attached, it was left alone for the adhesive to stick overnight.

Field Tests:
Before actually using this shelf on the water, I wondered just how much weight it can handle before the velcos give way. As you can see below, I put just about anything I can think of that would be used on the water.

Since it seems like it is holding quite well, I decided to add more weight. At this point, everything looks good. The velcos are holding the weight and the shelf is still in one piece. It’s time to test it on the water.

I decided to head out to the local waters for some tasty rock fish. Before having this shelf, I would place a zip-lock bag of squid, bait knife, bait net, pliers, dikes, and fish all in one place. The problem is that some fishes have poisonous spines and most have sharp teeth. After having a few fishes inside the cooler, it becomes a little dangerous reaching for anything at the bottom.

But now that I have a shelf to separate the fishes from the tools, it was so much quicker to reach for bait or switch to a different jig.

Conclusion:
The purpose of this cooler shelf is to add an extra layer of storage inside a cooler. With its simplicity in design and installation, I find it every useful and practical for our needs. Material used for this shelf is quite good. All plastic linings are very thick as well as the mesh used in the middle and the sides. I believe the velco strips are the same as the industrial strength velcos found at Home Depot. It's very strong and sticks very well. However, during installation, make sure the surface is clean! Another thing I noticed while testing it on land was that anything placed on the shelf will bounce off once we start moving. I thought about making a velco flap to cover the shelf. But actually a simple bungee cord hooked at 2 adjacent corners did the trick. It kept my bag of squid on the shelf all day.

All in all, this shelf does exactly what it claims. I was able to keep the fishes separated while having my tools and bait within reach. It is definitely worth $9.95.

Pros:
- heavy duty material
- simple installation procedures
- perfect if organization inside the cooler is needed
- easy to detach for cleaning and attach for using
Cons:
- velco strips attached to insides of the cooler started to peel off after first use
- hard to completely clean velco material

EDIT (3/26/2012): found out Velcro strip peeled off because of dirty surface. Cleaned and Re-attached a new strip and problem solved! It was tested out several times and submerged in 50~54 degrees of water all day.

Cooler shelf can be found at http://www.coolershelf.net

Here's a video:

HawaiianShorts
If you like this site, please click on the Ads!!! The more clicks we get, the more freebies we give out!!!
HawaiianShorts
Site Admin

Re: Ultimate add on for your bait tank?

Postby socali714 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 am

Very nice! I seen this on your last post and was curious what it was. Thanks for sharing!
socali714

Postby TrimUp » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 am

Very nice! It's like have an extra hand. Good catch, I like! There goes another $10 bucks! LOL
Ron
2006 YAMAHA VX110 Sport 4 Stroke
TrimUp

Postby OKIHALFBREED » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:00 am

Thanks for sharing,,Love it
OKIHALFBREED

Postby Elite » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:20 pm

cool!
Elite

Postby alanhighhand » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:51 pm

I have one of these, it's very useful and it only costs $10! It's worth it and very efficient. If you didn't buy one, I think you should get one.
alanhighhand

Postby garylandgraf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:52 am

Just ordered one
Tight Lines and BigAss Fish!!!http://www.youtube.com/user/garylandgraf3?feature=mhee
garylandgraf

Re: Ultimate add on for your bait tank? (Discount code inside)

Postby mmgoss » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Looks useful going to try one
mmgoss

Postby Thamastachef » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Looks like a great way to keep my sammiches out of the ice in the cooler. Very cool alternative to coolers that aren't tray capable.
Thamastachef

Postby Bigron » Thu May 03, 2012 11:38 am

great idea. why didn't I think of this?!?!? :x
Bigron

Next

Return to Tackle